Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Griddled Olive Oil Salt Bread (with Rosemary)

Yesterday was a long day.

Andy worked forever and I was up to my neck in the final paper for my Observation and Recording class.  So, we tag teamed this quick bread from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman.  I love this cookbook, this recipe, and everything Bitten.  Minor detail that the ingredients list forgot to include the 1 cup of water but the instructions are so clear that it wasn't a problem.  I love this cookbook.

Case in point: after I went grocery shopping for the soup and salad that would become dinner Andy asked if we could make bread.  6 P.M. on Tuesday before my final is due and we are starting bread?  Save us, Mark!  I opened How to Cook Everything Vegetarian and read:
"There is no quicker, hassle-free way to get fresh, warm bread on the table, especially if you make the griddled version."
Okay, fine.  Sign us up.

I took sneaky photos while Andy tried to keep me on task
 (the task being my paper, not the bread).

I am not posting the recipe since I didn't change anything about it (aside from halving it and letting it sit for like an hour only for purposes of letting the soup and salad operations catch up).  Andy, in all of his no-rules cooking, added rosemary to one of the rolls.  It was divine.  Or so I heard, since I didn't get to try a bite.  Divine enough to not share with your girlfriend better be pretty delicious.  It's on my "To Bake" list to perfect an adaptation of these griddle breads and post it in the future.  Stay tuned.


The moral of this post is: Bread doesn't have to take a long time.  Especially after a long day.

- Sarah

P.S. I got my copy of How to Cook Everything Vegetarian at Strand -- one of my all-time favorite bookstores.  I have a thing for books.

No comments:

Post a Comment