Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Oats + Sourdough (Oh my!)

Nothing like a controversial national holiday to get me back into the bread blog.  While  I was not posting I made several sourdoughs that I just did NOT write about..Oops.

For this sourdough I decided to get a little inventive.  I read a recipe in Good to the Grain by Kim Boyce (Thanks Emeric!) and decided - why not add some sourdough to it?!  Good to the Grain had been sitting on our shelf since Emeric lent it to me in July (laaame).  Plus I have sourdough to feed.

Sourdough-Oat Sandwich Loaf Inspiration from Good to the Grain
(Printable Recipe)
Yields 1 loaf
Prep time about 10 hours
Cook time 40 minutes

1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
2 tablespoons warm water
1 pinch of sugar
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup oat flour
1 cup starter
1/4 cup water
3 teaspoons vital wheat gluten
1/2 stick of unsalted butter, melted
1/2 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons molasses

1. Proof the yeast in warm water with sugar.
2. As the yeast proofs for about 10 minutes, measure out your dry ingredients EXCEPT the salt and stir them together.  Melt the butter while you are at it.
3. Add the yeast, butter, and sourdough starter and water to all the dry ingredients excluding the salt.  Stir until you can't stir anymore and then let it rest for 20 minutes.  This is called autolyse.
To learn more about autolyse click here or search "sourdough" on the top right and read up!


4. Now, add the salt and molasses.
5. Knead for about 10 minutes.
6. Allow the dough to rise for about 45 minutes in a clean, buttered bowl.
7. Shape the dough into a log and place it into a loaf pan to rise.


8. Let it rise for up to 6 hours, or until it has doubled in bulk.  I went babysitting in the meantime.  I would have loved to be available to punch the dough down but it's sourdough and it loves to retard, so I just let it happen.
9. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and brush the top crust with a little water/molasses mixture and sprinkle with bran or oats before throwing it in the oven.
10. Bake at 400 degrees F for 40 minutes.  As always, allow to cool before slicing.



Entirely unrelated, but I made these impromptu banana-bran muffins the other day.  There are four bananas in 12 muffins.  Mathematically speaking, a third of a banana per muffin.  I'd post a recipe but I didn't keep track or measure anything I did.  Classic.

These bananas were practically making themselves into banana-based treats.

Happy belated Columbus Day and 10-10-10!
Sarah

PS This bread was okay.  Like any good relationship, oats and sourdough have some things to work on together.  I'll definitely revisit this medley.  The to bake (and to do) list(s) are long and the time is always short.  

No comments:

Post a Comment