Thursday, July 1, 2010

Hearty Whole Wheat


My very first post to The Upper Yeast Side was about a basic whole wheat sandwich loaf that I made for Lil's birthday.  Since I am still feeling awesome from my success with the sourdough sandwich bread I made recently I tried to recreate it minus the sourdough.  Essentially, another whole wheat sandwich loaf.  I'll do some of the things the same, some of the things different and try to figure out what made that loaf so phenomenal.  Here goes.

Hearty Whole Wheat 
(Printable Recipe)

What I Used:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup wheat germ
1/3 cup wheat bran
1/3 cup bread flour
3 teaspoons nonfat dry milk
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons melted butter (salted)
4 teaspoons vital wheat gluten
2 1/2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons yeast

What I Did:
  1. Proof 2 teaspoons yeast in 2 tablespoons warm water and with a dollop (yes a dollop) of honey.  
  2. While the yeast proofs, measure out all the dry ingredients and mix together in a large mixing bowl.
  3. Add the yeast to the dry ingredients along with 1 cup water, 2 tablespoons melted butter, an 2 tablespoons honey.  Stir slowly until it becomes too difficult.  Then let it rest for about 20 minutes.
  4. After the dough has rested, turn dough out onto lightly floured surface.  Knead for 8-10 minutes.
  5. Flour mixing bowl and move dough to the bowl.  
  6. Wait about 1 1/2 hours until the dough has doubled in bulk.
  7. Shape your loaf and place it into a greased loaf pan.  Punch it down.
  8. Allow the dough to rise until it comes above the edge of the loaf pan.
  9. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
  10. Prepare a water-honey wash of about 1 tablespoons water and 1 tablespoon honey..  Brush the upper crust with water and sprinkle with wheat germ or wheat bran or eight grain cereal or any combination.  
  11. Bake for 45 minutes.  20 minutes with a cast iron pan of water and 25 minutes without.
  12. Let it cool before removing from the pan and definitely before slicing.
Bring a slice to the Dennis for your couple of laps around the Park.  Just kidding, that's not a direction, but sharing is caring.  These are the slices we ate:


This loaf came out pretty well- I wish I was a little more patient on it's second rise because it didn't really get bigger in the oven but I got a great texture again (I think it might have to do with the steam in the oven) and nice upper crust from brushing with the honey-water.

I am definitely going to try this loaf again but wait longer for it to rise fully.
- Sarah

4 comments:

  1. Oh your bread looks so great! We love Kamut Wheat since it is so healthy and this recipe would be a great one to use it in! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah....looks yummy..Katie told me about your blog..and I love to make bread and really love to eat it!..m minott

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll have to try a loaf with kamut. Is there a special place to find kamut flour? I haven't seen it..

    It LOOKS yummy and (more importantly) it TASTES yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Sar and Lil,
    Wonderful Blog!
    Without pre-notice, I introduced your July 4 blog on my site, non-commercial for English practice primarily for Japanese girls. I am sure they love your site and wish they would visit yours often.
    Please take a look at mine although it is a mixture of Japanese and English and feel free to leave some message to say hello to Japanese visitors, if you like.
    http://stratpreneur.chalaza.net/?day=20100715

    Hideo means man of rising sun in Kanji, Japanese letter.
    Looking forward to the next entry!

    Hideo

    ReplyDelete